When it comes to rolling out its own software updates Google moves very quickly. Recently, the users of the Nexus 7 Wi-Fi variant gets the latest version of Android, Android 5.0.2 Lollipop software update, that cleared the bugs that originally came with the first Android 5.0 Lollipop.
Nexus devices first got the Android 5.0 Lollipop update in November that came with some bugs even though some nice features came with the update. The Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update version was launched, but it was initially for fixing the bugs. As Gotta Be Mobile stated, Google launched on December 26 its newest OTA but the rolling out could last more than a week. Users will be notified when the update is ready for their devices.
The users of Samsung Galaxy S3 have ready the custom ROM. It was based on the Android Open Source Project 5.0.2 Lollipop. Even though the device was launched back in 2012, they can enjoy of the new ROM.
The version for which is available the new ROM is GT-I9300 that carries the chipset Exynos, according to Android Origin. Even though the ROM is yet in beta mode, the Galaxy S3 users can enjoy features like RIL, GPS, vibration, external and internal SDcard, sensors, NFC, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, camera, rotation, HWComposer, GPU rendering, OpenGL, updated-script and kernel. You must proceed with caution. The ROM size is 225.1 MB.
For those who want to install the new ROM you must do the following before proceeding: the battery must be at least 80%, you must backup you data because everything will be wiped and you will lose you warranty.
Here is what you must do to install the new ROM:
- From your desktop download CM12 Beta 2 ROM for Galaxy S3
- Download GAPPS package
- Connect the device to your desktop and transfer the files you downloaded to the internal storage
- Turn the device off and then disconnect it from the desktop
- Press and hold Volume up, Home and Power buttons to boot into recovery mode
- Do a factory reset, select the option Wipe data/factory reset and then select wipe cache partition
- Next press Install zip from SD card and run the ROM ZIP file
- Like you did for the ROM install the GAPPS package
- Next select the option Reboot system now
- It will take a few minutes and it’s all over